Getting and Keeping the Perfect Spray Tan
AUTHORED & PHOTOGRAPHED BY: The Look Salon
This content was created by a Denver Style Magazine Contributor. The opinions expressed in the article do not necessarily reflect the views of Denver Style Magazine.
SEE ALL POSTS
- Behind the Scenes
- Boutique Walk Through
- Contributor Introductions
- DSM Exclusive
- Do In Denver
- Eat, What, Wear
- Entrepreneur Spotlight
- Event Gallery
- For the Home
- From the Editor
- Health and Nutrition
- Intern Diaries
- Men's Style + Grooming
- Photographic Editorial
- Science of Fashion
- Special Series
- Sponsored Posts
- Style Inspiration
- Video Series
- Written Editorial
Looking for a bronze glow this summer, but don’t want to end up with sun damage and leathery skin in 10 years? Our estheticians at The Look Salon have your back! As skincare professionals, we see the effects of years of sun exposure, and trust us, it’s not pretty. We are adamant about our clients wearing SPF every single day (rain or shine), but that doesn’t mean you need to keep your Nicole Kidman-esque pale at the beach all summer!
Airbrush Spray tans are 100% UV free and take a fraction of the time to get you to your ideal shade of bronze. The active ingredient in most spray tan solutions is DHA, a colorless sugar product made from nature sugarcane plants that never absorbs into the body. Don’t just take our word for it, Airbrush Tanning is approved by the FDA and recommended as the preferred treatment from dermatologists and The Skin Cancer Foundation.
Our models Ashley and Emily both got their spray tans about 24 hours before our photoshoot, and let them develop fully for 10-12 hours before they exercised or showered. Our Airbrush Tanning system has several different colors we can use, so don’t be shy about telling your esthetician exactly how dark you want to be! There are plenty of tips and tricks that we have learned after years of doing and getting spray tans, and our estheticians are more than willing to share their hard earned knowledge.
BEFORE YOUR TAN:
- On the day before your spray tan appointment, shower, exfoliate, and remove any unwanted body hair. Exfoliating pre-tan is a very important step because it removes the top layer of dead epidermis cells, which means that your tan will be going on to fresh new skin and will last much longer. We like the scrub from Evolv (the company that makes our tanning system), but any sugar scrub will do.
- Esthetician Lindsey recommends using a body moisturizer 4-8 hours before your tan, but not any closer to the appointment! The oils in the lotion could make the tanning solution uneven or not absorb fully.
- Wear dark colored and loose fitting clothing to the salon. The tanning solution dries pretty quickly after we finish, but you don’t want to risk staining your favorite white dress or having weird sock marks in your tan!
- Skip the makeup on the morning of your tan. Our tanning solution is perfectly safe for your face and will cover better if there is no makeup to keep it from absorbing.
AFTER YOUR TAN:
- You will be limited in your abilities to submerge in water or exercise for 4 to 6 hours after a spray tan, so plan accordingly.
- After 6 to 10 hours (we generally recommend waiting until the next day so that the tan can fully develop), shower normally but do not exfoliate or use abrasive products. Wash with a mild shower gel and pat, don’t rub, skin dry. Some color wash off in the shower is normal, this is the color guide tint/bronzer.
- Apply a moisturizer to shower damp skin every day. Esthetician and Salon owner Gina gives a lot of her clients the Evolv Tan Extender - a moisturizing spray that was developed to help prolong your spray tan.
- Bar soaps, alcohol-based products such as toners and astringents, and products that cause exfoliation -- such as AHAs, BHAs, and Retin-A -- can cause faster fading of your tan.
If you take good care of your tan, it should last a good 12-14 days. And if you take good care of your skin, it will last you a lifetime! Come see us before your next pool day or beach vacation, and get a tan without the damage.