5 Things We Learned from Our Industry Meetup on Marketing
Last night was our first Industry Meetup of 2017! To start the year off right, we were learned about marketing from a panel of experts - Bethany Lechner, senior strategist at CP+B Agency in Boulder and Jenny Homan and Nikki Haddad from Westword's Marketing department. The group spoke on topics like how to overcome laziness in marketing, where to start if you have no money and what's the difference between branding and marketing. Here's five big take aways we learned from last night.
- Step one in marketing is remind yourself why you're doing what you're doing in the first place. Then decide what medium helps you accomplish your goal. Will video help or is a email newsletter better?
- Small businesses and big businesses both have challenges and advantages in marketing; they're just different. For example, small companies have the great advantage of being able to tell their own story and their own "why."
- If everybody likes you, nobody loves you. Don't be afraid to be polarizing and passionate as you tell your story.
- Empower your current customers to keep telling your story and advocating for your brand. Use referral programs and incentives to keep them coming back.
- Your branding (your logo, voice and visuals) will help your marketing stay consistent.
Missed us last night? Join us in February for "Small Business PR." Reserve your spot here!